Friday, 20 February 2015

Back to QRP and a 2 way QRP contact today with S52TLN

It has been some time since I have had the time to blog about my radio activities. My day job and young family have taken the majority of my time since my last post. Fortunately I have been enjoying a half-term break here in the UK. This is the break in an academic term for a much needed rest for educators and students alike. I have also been very busy working on my photography and improving my online presence and industry links to go alongside my lecturing.

I have spent the majority of my radio time working on improving my CW skills and making a few contacts and not always focusing on the QRP aspect of the hobby that I like so much. Recently I have been looking over my QRP log for the last year working out how many points I had for our local QRP challenge. When I was doing this I realised the last year netted me some great QRP DX including Senegal and Djibouti as well as some nice low power contacts into North America and Canada. It served as a reminder that when I turn the power down I can still work stations some distance away and interesting DX at that. I might add that the more successful contacts have come from me working on CW and building that as a skill. I have found that where QRP SSB activity limits me to calling a many times that with QRP CW I am often able to work a station with very simple wire antennas and often with one or two calls.

Today I had another reminder that QRP works. I decided to make use of an afternoon without the children here to play on the radio. I called CQ on 15m SSB (Shameful using 200w rig power) and was called by S52TLN - Tilen from Slovenia. He was running 5w from a FT-817 into a simple wire antenna. I figured if I can hear him then I should turn down the power to 5w and join in at QRP levels. We maintained a great contact at this power level and Tilen lowered his power further and was still readable here although there was more noise the signal level did not drop that much. I was politely reminded by the event that I can reduce my power and still make contacts and do not have to keep QRP for CW contacts only.

I will endeavour to keep more of the activity updated in the blog and will add some more technical adventures too.

Best 73 and remember QRP does work even on SSB.

2 comments:

  1. It was great meeting you! Hope that we'll hear on the air again!

    73 de S52TLN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tilen, I hope you have some great QRP contacts and GD DX with the FT-817 de M0TEF

    ReplyDelete